Nine years ago I was woken up by my mother's phone call, something she was prone to do. It seemed like she had never gotten used to the 2 hour time difference--that or she just was too excited to wait. And so when my husband answered the phone and sounded exasperated, it was understandable. But then his tone changed and I knew something was wrong. She had just come to live with us in Culver City, CA and was in the hospital. My first thought was that she was even sicker, but then he turned the TV on and the world changed forever. Less than 2 months later, it changed again when she died.
So here I am, starting a blog since the world keeps changing. My oldest daughter is now in Argentina going to school, and I have lost my bearings. I know I will get used to this, but for now it just seems like an impossibility. She skyped last night and I knew she was going out later that night. Though she has a good head on her shoulders and is very responsible, the Social Worker in me kicked in and all of a sudden endless dark possibilities set in. By the grace of God I slept anyway and awoke to an email saying she got home safely. Phew.
A week from today my youngest daughter turns 16 which means she will be driving without me or her dad in the car. Like her sister, she too is responsible, but the world keeps changing...
What hasn't changed is knowing that God is in control and I am not, which is still not what I am totally comfortable with since I am a control-freak. The good news (pun intended) is that it's always better with Him at the wheel. That and knowing that whenever I am home blogging, Max the dog is right by my side.
No comments:
Post a Comment